Latest Movie :

Learning the Kana

In the previous post I talked about the website Real Kana And how that was what I used to learn all of the Hiragana and Katakana.  I really do recommend it highly, its simple and its free.  And the practice tab that they have is great for getting the kana down.  However, to ensure that you have all of the kana down, I highly recomnend you give 2 more things a try.  Again when talking about learning Japanese, I can only talk about the things that Ive done, and what Ive used.  There is a wealth of info out there but I can only tell you what I did and what I used and why I did or didnt like it.


There is the Hiragana Timer and there is the Katakana Timer from some university, I dont know where, I briefly looked over the site and at the time it was a bit much for me in terms of other info they had, I cant remember what other things they have on the site.  But perhaps in the future I will check the site out, because I am at a point in my Japanese where I need to pick up some new basic skill sets. 


Basically, this web game is like memory, and the faster you can put the puzzle together, the better you understand each letter.  This is a great way to test yourself, as you can try doing the game several times until you get a time you are satisfied with.  I was able to lock a minute and 52 seconds for the hiragana, and a minute 58 for the katakana.


Any time I felt like I didnt know a certain character I went back to the Real Kana and spent some time learning that specific character.  As time went on, and I furthered my progress in the Rosetta stone I was able to read a little faster.  Sure there are a few characters, that I dont have under my belt 100% but thats because depending on the font it may be hard to see the differences, and aside from a completely novel writing system, it will take a bit of practice to recognize such letters in real situations (like reading a website or a childrens book).


Next I'll talk about a couple of iPhone apps that I played with in order to further the kana knowledge.
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. 日本エス - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger